The business was started in 1898 by Giuseppe Parravani, who had come over from a small village near Naples in Italy as a teenager to find his older brother Domenico, who had set up an ice cream business in Ber Street in Norwich.

Giuseppe worked for Domenico until he had enough money to buy his own pony and ice cream cart. By the age of 20 he was trading regularly in Bungay, where he was known as Bungay Joe. In 1909 he married an Italian girl, Caterina, who had come over from Florence and was living with an Italian family in Ipswich. They settled in Southend Road in Bungay, where their first two children were born.

Giuseppe bought two cows for the milk for ice cream, and a plot of land to keep them and the ponies on, and the business continued to grow. After about four years the family moved to Pirnhow Street in Ditchingham, where they had nine further children. As each child left school, they helped in the business, selling ice cream from beautifully painted ice cream carts – often being shown the rounds by an experienced pony! In those days an ice cream would cost ½d.

In 1931 the family arranged to move to Dulls Farm in Ellingham, but sadly a week before they moved Giuseppe died at the age of 47. This left Caterina to bring up eleven children, the youngest of whom was a baby of six months, look after the farm and milk the cows.

The business carried on from Ellingham, run by Giuseppe's eldest son Augie Parravani, and just before the war the first ice cream van was put on the road. It had been converted by the family from a car, with bigger windows, a higher roof and rear doors being added. It was used until production stopped in 1940 soon after the outbreak of war. In 1946 manufacture of ice cream started again, and was continued by Augie and his bothers Peter and Domenico until Augie retired in 1985.

During 1986 the machinery was transferred to premises at Chedgrave near Loddon, and in 1987 ice cream production was continued by Domenico, his son Paul and Paul's wife Sharon. Over the years the business grew steadily and in 2001 we started supplying ice cream to wholesale customers as well.  We found that many chefs do not have time to make their own ice creams and sorbets, and are happy to be able to locally source quality home-made products.

After 25 years at Chedgrave, we finally outgrew our premises and in 2012 we relocated to a fantastic unit in Beccles, just over the border in Suffolk.  Here we have much more space to accommodate the factory and storage freezers and have spacious offices to work in.  We now have a wide customer base over Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Essex and produce a range of over forty ice creams and sorbets for the wholesale market, all made with love, care and a little bit of Italian passion!  We also continue to service the local areas with our trusty ice cream vans on their rounds and we can be seen at many local events throughout the year.
BACK TO TOP

Parravanis Ices
Parravanis Ices
Parravanis Ices
Parravanis Ices